Saturday, May 23, 2009

Tamale Pie


I bought Cathe Olson's The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook near the end of my first pregnancy after finding her Tamale Pie recipe on the Mothering website. Finding this recipe was my gateway to the most-used cookbook in my life. The recipes are incredibly easy, simple, healthy and delicious. She offers great tips ranging from how to eat in different stages of pregnancy to time-savers in the kitchen that really work and still stray from genetically modified and processed foods. At least three, if not more, meals a week are made from this book in my house.

I enjoy serving this with lettuce drizzled with salsa and a side of roasted potatoes. Follow the link for her Tamale Pie recipe. How I roast my pots follows.

INGREDIENTS:
5-6 small potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite-size pieces
olive oil to drizzle
salt, pepper and oregano to taste

Place potatoes in a 9"x13" baking dish - just enough to cover the entire pan with a single layer of pots. Drizzle with olive oil to evenly coat. Spring with salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (1 tsp) and oregano (1 tsp) to taste.

Place in oven with Tamale Pie. Stir once halfway through. Continue to roast while the pie rests for a total baking time of 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment