Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lentil Bolognese

This is one of my all-time faves. It is sooooo incredibly hearty. It makes an enormous pot of food - at the very least eight, heaping servings. It also has very little hands-on time.

This is great to share with meat-eaters. I have found that lentils, especially when simmered with tomatoes, can be the most reminiscent of hamburger. However, I never feel like I'm eating hamburger which would turn me off. So! It's a pleaser for all types of eaters.

I stay very true to the recipe with the exception of using a small green bell pepper rather than celery (one of very few vegetables my husband dislikes). I also use about a tablespoon of dried basil rather than fresh in the fall, winter and spring. I will also throw in a generous pinch of red pepper flakes. We omit the cheese.

Enjoy the feast!

1 comment:

  1. Erin,

    Thanks for the recipe. I've already told you how much I like this. We are meat eaters and it was super good and not overly heavy.

    theresa

    ReplyDelete