Monday, May 25, 2009

Cold Press!


My newest homemade vice is cold press. I am loving it so hard. I was determined to create a cold press that I would crave and could replace my yearning to walk to a coffee shop and treat myself to ice coffee. I searched for some concoctions around the blog world and found the one for me.

Using the grounds to cold water ratio I found on VillageCoffeeCafe I seemed to have found my match. To make life even simpler, I use my french press. Now I don't have to wash it every day, but I make a batch of cold press concentrate and it lasts me most of the week.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup coarsely ground french roast coffee beans (or other bean of your choice)
4 1/2 cups cold water

Step 1 - place beans and water in french press. Stir. Leave overnight. I throw this together after dinner, so I don't forget. I'm often in a dazed coma after the babes are sleeping.

Step 2 - press in the morning and pour into a storage container. I just use a good ol' Kerr canning jar.

Step 3 - drink it! What you've made is a concentrate. First, fill your glass with ice (coffee ice cubes if you're an over-achiever) then fill half way with soy milk, milk, or water. Then continue to fill your cup with cold press. I enjoy a drizzle of pure maple syrup to sweeten.

As I tell my nearly 3-year-old, "Coffee makes me a good mommy."

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. OOh! Erin, I can't wait to make cold press! I had thought about buying a Toddy contraption at the co-op, but this way I don't have to buy anything new - lovely. I think Coffee makes a lot of women good mommies - pretty sure that's why my mother is holding a coffee cup in the majority of the pictures I have of her!

    ReplyDelete