Sunday, May 3, 2009

Quinoa Rocks My Face Off

I have recently fallen in love with Quinoa. I can buy it in bulk. It cooks at what seems like the speed of lightning in comparison to brown rice. And...it is a SUPER FOOD for us vegans and vegetarians (well, actually for everyone)!

Here are some of my favorite ways to eat and serve quinoa.

Baby Food!
As seen above, I've recently begun serving quinoa to my ten-month-old son. In this photo it is mixed with one cube zucchini and one cube butternut squash. I cook it a bit longer than usual - at least fifteen minutes. I can still freeze it in cubes; however, it does loosen up once you transfer it to a freezer bag. I've learned to keep the bag flat in the freezer or in the covered ice-cube tray.

Quinoa Chowder
My family really enjoys this from Cucina Nicolina. It cooks up very quickly and has a very deep, earthy flavor.

Enchiladas
Vegetarian Times Fast and Easy has a great enchilada recipe that is basically quinoa, corn and zucchini as the filler. It is really hearty and a great enchilada recipe for the spring and summer.

I strongly encourage you to go out and grab some quinoa and experiment with it this week. I'm sure you won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. I made the chowder yesterday and loved it. E even at some of it. I did "trick" her into trying it by naming it after your son. I find that if new food has a catchy name like "Teddy Bear Stew" than she will be more amenable to trying and liking it. Oh, the glorious 3's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! I'm so glad. :)

    ReplyDelete