Friday, May 1, 2009

Strawberry Maple Oatmeal



Well, my last post was about oatmeal...so, why not write about it again! We eat it every day for breakfast, so I would like to think we've got it figured out.

Spring has basically arrived, but the mornings are still chilly and warm breakfast is what seems right. I noticed about two weeks ago that strawberries were making a re-appearance at the co-op at a fair, in-season price. I felt odd grabbing a container, since I was still wearing socks. I felt like I was cheating and that it was still winter. Last weekend, I gave in. I bought some strawberries, and it has been a wonderful treat.

Here is our "it's not really winter, but not really summer" breakfast. Again, this feeds one hungry mama and one hungry toddler. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
1 and 3/4 cups liquid (I do have soy milk and half water)
1 (overflowing) cup rolled oats
4 strawberries, rinsed and sliced
pure maple syrup for drizzling

In a medium saucepan, bring liquid to a boil. Stir in oats (you can add less or more depending on how thick you like it.) Lower heat to a mild boil. Cook for five minutes.

Dish oatmeal into bowls. Add strawberries and a drizzle of pure maple syrup - I use about one teaspoon for myself and a half teaspoon for my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment