Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Watermelon

This time of year my family consumes at least one good-sized watermelon a week. We could probably double that, but I limit myself to one each week at the co-op to practice some good ol' self-control. Watermelon often serves as our dessert at lunch and dinner. I love all the water content, and feel assured that my one-year-old is getting an extra dose of water while he's mastering his drinking skills.

Sometimes I think watermelon is avoided, because it's seems like a big mess. I believe I learned our technique of cutting and storing watermelon from my husband. There is never a mess, and it's a one-time process for a whole week of tasty watermelon.

Step 1 -- We never cut watermelon on a cutting board. The juice oozes everywhere and the kitchen gets nasty sticky. Rinse the outside of the watermelon in the sink and proceed to do all the cutting in the sink. Cut the watermelon into quarters.

Step 2- Take your first quarter and create a grid of bite-size pieces.









Step 3 - Empty the inner pieces into a bowl.









Step 4 - Cut along the rind to empty the remaining pieces into the same bowl.

Step 5 - Repeat with the three remaining quarters of the watermelon. Store in storage containers in the fridge and feast for days!

No comments:

Post a Comment