Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer Squash and Rainbow Chard Za

(partially devoured za)

I have long feared making anything that involves active yeast. The first few times I tried, I failed. I was unsure how to "test" the yeast. How warm should the water be? How big should the dough be when it rises? How do I correctly knead? Well...thanks to one of my most dearest friends, Sara, I have begun to overcome this fear.

About a month or so ago, Sara came over and gave me a pizza dough tutorial. I'm a hands-on learner, and it was so wonderful to see Sara step me through everything. We made two pizza doughs, and they were awesome. Last week, I did it myself for the first time, and I actually succeeded. Yea!

Thursday is our CSA pick-up day. My kitchen is pretty bare on Thursday as I await to see what I'll have to work with for the week from my box. I decided that homemade pizza was the best meal to make. I could easily whip up some dough and homemade marinara sauce in the afternoon then use whatever veggies were presented to me that early evening by Driftless Organics. It was a fantastic meal. Thursday may now become our weekly pizza night.

INGREDIENTS:
One half batch of All-Purpose Pizza Dough (from Ken Haedrich's Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family)
3/4 to 1 cup of Easy Marinara Sauce (from Cathe Olson's The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook)
*Either of these above recipes could be easily replaced by another recipe, but these are my two all-time fave cookbooks.
One medium-sized yellow summer squash, haphazardly peeled to remove prickly skin then thinly sliced into half-moons
One bunch rainbow chard, rinsed and roughly chopped
Handful of shredded mozzarella (optional)
*I buy one block of mozzarella then shred it in my food processor. Since I use so very little cheese on our pizza, I freeze most of it. I then break off a chunk each time I make a pizza. Frozen shredded cheese lasts up to six weeks, I believe, according to Betty.
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Heat some olive oil in a saute pan. Add summer squash and cook until tender then add chard and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and steam until all is tender but not overcooked...about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, roll out dough and place on a cookie sheet. I like to bake my pizza on a Silpat. It's more idiot-proof for me. Spread sauce evenly on dough. Add veggies. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in oven at 400 for 20-25 minutes.

All members of my family loved this. The 12 month-old devours it almost as fast as his father.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment