Monday, October 19, 2009

Pumpkin-Chocolate-Chip Squares a la Erin



While reading SouleMama one day I came upon this Pumpkin-Chocolate-Chip Square recipe she referred to to celebrate autumn. I was thrilled, because it was yet a new "pumpkin" recipe for me (quotations, because a pumpkin recipe in my home usually means some random winter squash). I took some liberties to make the recipe vegan and to accomodate what ingredients I had on hand. They turned out magnificent - super yummy.

Follow the directions just as stated on Martha's website, but here are my alterations:

- No pumpkin pie spice. Used cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves, as listed in the heading.

- No butter. Used 1/2 cup Earth Balance (way AWESOME - better than butter) and 1/2 cup sunflower oil (or canola oil).

- No egg. Used 1/3 cup applesauce. GREAT egg replacer for cakes and breads - especially with pumpkin recipes.

- No canned pumpkin puree. Used 1 cup roasted squashed.

- Used 1 and a 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips. Don't be scared. There are AMAZING non-dairy chocolate chips. I get mine at Mississippi Market in the bulk section. Can't remember exact name - but it's obvious. I'll try to update after my next trip.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erin!
    I have to make pumpkin muffins for my son's prescholl halloween party and we're veg and would love to do these. I would like to not do the sunflower and canola oil-could I use all Earth's Bal or no? thanks so much!
    Lisa in Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa!

    Yes, all Earth Balance would work really well. Enjoy! Sorry I replied so late!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete